- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 cup chopped onion, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped medium (1 tsp. dried may be substituted)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped medium (1 tsp. dried may be substituted)
- 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method of Preparation
In skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, 1/2 cup onion and garlic. Saute 5 minutes until vegetables start to soften. Stir in herbs and saute 2 minutes. Remove from stovetop and set aside.
In strainer, place quinoa and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Using your hand, swish quinoa under running water for 2 minutes to remove bitter natural coating. Drain and set aside.
In medium saucepan, heat remaining teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add remaining onion. Saute about 3 to 4 minutes. Add broth and quinoa. Increase heat to bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
Gently stir in vegetable mixture and combine well with quinoa. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Nutritional Information per serving
- Energy : 120 cals
- Carbohydrates : 20gm
- Protein : 5gm
- Fat : 3.5gm
- Fiber : 4gm